Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Book Whisperer

     For those who enjoyed Readicide by Gallagher, I would reccomend trying The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller. From what I have read so far, she seems to share many of the same ideas and concepts that Gallagher mentions in his book.
     Miller states in her introduction, "not only do my students read an astounding number of books (she makes them read 40 books), they earn high scores on our state’s reading assessment. I have not had one student fail the state assessment in four years, and an average of 85% of my students score in the 90th percentile." If this statistic doesn't prove that reading effects test scores, I don't know what would!
     In short: LET STUDENTS CHOOSE BOOKS TO READ AND GIVE THEM TIME TO READ THEM!
     I believe that every person in this world loves reading, they may have just forgot this fact throughout his/her time in school. I really wish that all teachers could read these books. If this happened and teachers started implementing these ideas, there would be a total revolution found in our schools today.

No comments:

Post a Comment