Friday, September 9, 2011

Week 3: To Kill a Mockingbird

     I am about 3/4 of the way through To Kill a Mockingbird, and I am so happy that I chose to reread this book! It is easily becoming my all-time favorite on many levels. I now see why this book is taught in public schools. My perspective has changed drastically since I was an eighth grader (thankfully!). This novel touches on many issues including love, racism, drug addiction, sterotypes, and the good and evil of human beings. I could see teachers incoporationg any of those topics in the classroom.
     I am at the point in the book where the trial over Tom Robinson is taking place. It has been so interesting and effective seeing the scenes through a young girl's perspective. The reader can see Scout's innocence in her dialouge and makes the complexities of the novel more simple for younger readers. That being said, this book is not only wonderful for young adults, but it is also great for adults. It can take us back to our childhood and time of innocence to question ourselves on if we have become anywhere close to the prejudicial characters in the book that, as readers of the novel, tend to dislike.
This is not a book that is easy to put down once you begin. My goal was to finish it by this Sunday, and I believe that I will acheive it!
Fun Fact: Harper Lee has only published one novel (To Kill a Mockingbird). I had no idea! I guess once you create a classic masterpiece, what is the use in trying to outdo yourself?
I have read for about 1 hour each day. Total -- 300 Minutes (5 hrs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment